Sunday, May 27, 2007

Hello Eagles! (Matt Ws last 20 years)

Up until a week ago, I did not even realize this would be the year of the 20 year reunion. Life has a funny way of doing that . I was in La Jolla for a few days for my little brother Mark's Bachelor Party Weekend ( since when did these things go from 1 night to a 4 day weekend?). I was able to meet up with Bruce Roberts, who I had not seen in a couple years, and he asked me if I had seen the Reunion website.

In that moment, I had a flurry of flashbacks to those days up in the hills..... putting Johanek's car in the student center one summer night, my first "box" of wine at the park behind the big campus, running to catch the RTD after school at the little campus, and all of relationships I had with everyone; the good, the indifferent, and the interesting ones.

As with everyone, there is so much that has happened in 20 years in my life. After the 'Nade, I made a valient attempt to go to college, but my post high school desire for instant gratification kept me chasing one career after another. I spent several years trying to join various police departments, was one signature away from joining the navy, considered psychology, acocunting, and several other career paths.

Strangely enough my future was impacted by my ties to Chaminade 4 years after our graduation. In 1990 I was coaching Frosh Football at the 'nade. During that time I met a girl named Sandy who eventually became my wife. She was 1 year out of Agoura High School and freinds with then senior Amy Cook. We began dating and working together at the Museum of Flying / DC-3 Restaurant. We were married in 1994. Shortly thereafter I entered into the career I have done the past 13 years. We now have 2 AWESOME kids - Kaitlin (7) and Madison (4). Out first home was 1/2 mile from Chaminade in West Hills. We have lived in a great house up in the hills of Agoura Hills for the past 5 years.

I work for Classic Party Rentals. I am the GM of their Culver City location. They currently operate 24 stores from the west coast through the south and to the east coast. Simply, we are a party rental company. We do everything from movie premieres and awards shows to simple back yard parties. If you graduated from a major university in LA you probably sat in one of our chairs. We don't make the food or provide the flowers or organize the party - we provide all the "stuff" you would need. Cooking equipment, tenting, staging, lights, dancefloors, tables, chairs, china, linen, etc are the things we provide our clients. (If you need anything for the White house party or the family picnic- send me an email). Bottom line - it's a fast paced & challenging industry and I love the work. Its long hours but fun to be a part of.

Well thats 20 years in 5 paragraphs...... does not quite capture it all. As the reunion gets closer, let me know if you need any help. My schedule is pretty crazed, but since I am local, I should be able to help with something.

I look forward to catching up with everyone that weekend. If you are local and want to set something up before hand let me know.

Good Luck to all. See you soon.

No comments: