Wednesday, July 11, 2007

20 Years In A Nutshell: A Walnuts Story

The time has come, the walrus said, to talk of many things . . . . . and thus it is time to divulge the events of my life to this point. I shall park my dry wit for the time being - maybe with the engine running, though.

After leaving Chaminade, I went to work for Dr. Keating, Amy's dad. I worked while attending college. I also bought a condo since my parents decided to move to Orange County. After being 2 years, I dropped out of college because I was making plenty of money and I didn't care for studying. I have recently found out I was 2 classes away from getting my AA degree (more on that later). In subsequent years I would work for Dr. Ruth White, Dr. Kathryn Klein, Brad Klein, and finally Dr. Allan Kurtz. I worked in the same building on Topanga for 14 years, with each different Dr. at various times.

I married a friend of Amy's whom I met at one of her parties. A lovely woman, who I regret to say, did not remain my wife. We were married nearly 5 years and many mistakes were made. Take it from me, you don't always get a second chance so treasure your opportunities the first time around. I was pretty devastated and hollow after that. I sold my condo to rid myself of past ghosts.

It was at the point in time I was working for Dr. Kurtz, two years after my divorce, that we got a new medical student in the office. Talking lead to lunches, lunches lead to movies, movies lead to . . . . . well, it all lead to a weekend in Vegas that ended in marriage. I did not opt for the Elvis impersonator.

So, one weekend I am single, the next I am helping my wife move her stuff into my rented home. Not just her stuff - everyone's stuff. My new bride came with the added bonus of 3 children, Sam 4, Sydney 6, and Derrick 10. New husband, new step-dad.

The expense of such a family was overwhelming without child support. So to cut costs, I left my job. I became the office manager at a small geotechnical company in Van Nuys, working 5 hours a day. I actually made more money working fewer hours and taking the kids out of the costly afterschool daycare.

Not long after, a blessing (that did not seem like a blessing at the time) happened. We were barely getting financially on track again when Mr. Birth Control failed us. We got pregnant and on January 14, 2001 we had Nathan. Now, I had vowed to raise the kids as my own - but I will not lie and say that I was not tickled that one of them now actually looked like me!

Fast forward - I am now the lab manager at the same geotechnical company. I oversee the projects as they come in and do all the laboratory testing. I am nearing 7 years of marriage. The kids are now 5, 10, 12, and 16. My parents and sister are alive and well, living in San Diego. This past June I had a cancer scare but mercifully, it was JUST a scare. Still, a reminder that I am not immortal and need to use my time wisely. In the fall I am returning to school to finish that AA degree - after that, who knows.

I was truly saddened to learn of our passing fellow students. Conversely, I am glad to see from these postings how many have gone on to do terrific, life affirming things. A genuine treat to find so many old friends doing well.

Anthony "Snake" Butler

P.S. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

No comments: