Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Update from Steve Orr

It has been fun reading all the posts, and I'm looking forward to the reunion. Here's my update…

After graduating from Chaminade, I started at UCSB in the fall of 1987. I worked out a bit with the football and track teams, but my heart wasn't really into it. I also realized that in college, the football players were much faster, bigger, and stronger (and hit harder, too). I had also discovered rock climbing, which was to become one of my passions for the past 20 years.

After two years at UCSB I decided that I wanted another challenge, and transferred to UC Berkeley and the School of Business Administration. My understanding was that Cal's business program had a better "reputation." In my mind, that meant a better job and a better life, I guess. What did I know? I was only 19 years old!

It quickly became apparent to me that I was not suited for the corporate world. I was getting more involved in rock climbing and mountaineering and could not see myself wearing a suit and tie every day. With my long hair and interest in smoking pot, it was pretty unlikely that I would be hired by a corporation anyways.

After graduating from Cal in 1991, I returned to L.A. and continued a job that I had held during summer breaks from college as a salesperson at Adventure 16 in Tarzana. I was obviously in no hurry to get a "real job." After about six months, I left CA and moved to Boulder, CO with my girlfriend.

In Boulder, I worked at an outdoor shop and started teaching courses for Outward Bound, in addition to climbing a lot. I did some extended climbing trips as well, spending two winters in Joshua Tree. This lifestyle got a bit old, and in the fall of 1994 I decided to reestablish some sort of normalcy in my life by returning to L.A. and actually working and paying rent.

I returned to Adventure 16, where I worked off and on for the next several years as an assistant manager and instructor for their Wilderness Outings program. During this time, I ran into several fellow Eagles, including Tom Molnar, who took a beginning climbing course that I taught. It was a great environment and an excellent organization to work for (i.e. they didn't pay very well). Eventually I was feeling ready for a change, and considered management for Adventure 16, but I felt like I needed something different, like actually making some decent money.

After dabbling in substitute teaching, including a couple of days at CCP (which was a bit surreal), I began taking classes to pursue a career as a firefighter. One of my inspirations was Dan Arkin, who went to Chaminade in junior high before going to Chatsworth High. Dan and I were old High Sierra buddies, who learned to rock climb together and had kept in touch. He started a career as a firefighter in 1994 in Littleton, CO and encouraged me to give it a shot. Long story short, but I was hired by West Metro Fire in Lakewood, CO in August, 1999 where I have been ever since. Lakewood is a suburb of Denver on the west side of the Denver metro area.

In 2001, the department sent me to paramedic school, which has become my favorite part of the job. I'm also on our wildland firefighting team and Urban Search and Rescue Team. It's a pretty fun job, the schedule is great and I'm glad I'm not sitting at a desk every day. I still do some rock climbing, but have really enjoyed mountain biking and skiing since I moved to CO.

I have coached Freshman football at Lakewood High the past 3 seasons (wide receivers and DB's). Needless to say, coaching has brought back more than a few memories of Chaminade football that I look forward to reliving at the reunion. Remember the loss to Alemany 63-0 our sophomore year, and practice the next day, when we ran for 2 hours straight? Coach Curtis (former Marine drill sergeant): "Tomorrow. 3 o'clock. Bring your running shoes." Good stuff. I especially remember all the guys puking and crying during that session.

On July 9, my wife Susan and I celebrated our one-year anniversary. She is a school social worker and native of Kansas City. We don't have any kids yet, but are hoping to start a family soon. She also likes to bike and ski, and has even gone rock climbing a few times with me.

I still visit southern Cal at least once a year to visit friends, and look forward to seeing folks at the reunion this fall.

Take care, Steve

No comments: