Saturday, July 7, 2007

Teachers to invite:
We've got to invite Mr. Melcher. I've actually had the pleasure of staying in touch with him all these years since 9th grade, and he's still an amazing guy. He'll almost certainly come if he doesn't have other committments.
Anyone still in touch with the Reeves'? I'd love to see them and hear what they've been up to. I think they were teaching in Africa for a while, but I've lost track.

I've just started the project of trying to rip all my collected CD's to mp3s... A lot of them I really wonder if I should bother ripping... my God, what was I thinking when I bought that "Expose" album...? On the other hand, hopefully Richard will play some of the oldies and goodies-- remember when U2 was a little known, raw, folksy kind of band? And Oingo Boingo was punk and rebellious? We had some great poolside dance parties in the valley on summer nights with Duran Duran on the _record player_! I still remember dancing to "Burning down the House" (Talking Heads) in 8th grade in the little campus cafeteria. First album I ever bought on vinyl was Boston's "Third Stage."

Amy, let me know if you need contact info for Mr. Melcher.

Speaking of rebellion: Anyone remember Joel Rapp's battle with Mr. Reeves about wearing socks in AP Physics? He kept getting in trouble for not wearing them (the dress code!), so one day Mr. Reeves called Joel up yet again for not having socks. This time, however, Joel had the last laugh. He had "modified" a pair of socks by cutting off all of the sock except a the flat part under his feet and a bit around the heel. So techically he *was* wearing socks and Mr. Reeves had to concede!

Mike

1 comment:

Combat-Trout said...

I've kept in touch with Dave Reeves and can get in touch with him. He's still keeping very busy and enjoying his travels when he's not teaching.

And yes, I remember the sock war...

Quark, quark, quark...

JTA