Friday, October 5, 2007

Hello from Tony Weber

Hello classmates. I enjoy reading your stories. Thank you for making me laugh. I won't be at the reunion on Saturday, but I look forward to seeing you on Sunday at the picnic.

After Chaminade, I wrapped myself up in my lonely studies at UCLA. I met a girl, mistook lust for love, and moved in with her. The eventual breakup left me devastated. I had alienated my friends and family. I had lost my faith in God. And my dream of a career in computer science had turned bitter.

During an Apologetics class, I was struck by Jesus' words, "love God with your mind". Could it be that my intelligence and scientific reasoning were not opposed to God, but rather could be used to search for Him and to know Him?

I began to read more. Saint Teresa of Avila's writings showed me a new world of healthy relationships. The more I read about the Catholic Church, the more profound the truths became. On every point where I opposed the Church's teaching, the Church turned out to be right.

God slowly brought light to my depression, faith to my doubts, and hope to my cynicism.

My family welcomed me back. A counselor taught me to understand my feelings. I spent a year serving the poor in Alabama with the Jesuit Volunteer Corps. I was deeply touched and healed during several week-long silent retreats. I planned to go to Chile as a missionary, but came back because I was lonely and missed Southern California. I discovered that I still enjoy computer programming, and someone is willing to pay me to do it. I've been working with a small firm in Irvine ever since.

I learned about true love during a long courtship with a beautiful woman. We have been married six years, and have three children -- twin boys age 5 and a baby girl nearly 1. My wife and children are an immeasurable source of blessings for me. They teach me how to be human. I cannot be a couch potato when the baby is crying for her bottle. I cannot remain upset after work when my sons crack me up with their latest story. I cannot give in to my xenophobic tendencies when my wife wants to travel the world.

In loving God, my family, and all people, I found the meaning of life, "the pearl of great price". I have consecrated my life to Jesus, and He has given me everything in return. Of course suffering comes with it, but as He says, "my yoke is easy; my burden is light". I thank God, our Heavenly Father, for His great mercy to me, and His infinite blessings. May He bless you in every way and bring you to our final reunion in heaven.

No comments: