Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Charles Burke - 20 years

As Doug already mentioned, we both joined the Army Reserve and went to basic training together. I stayed in for 9 years. Military Highlights: On a trip to Korea I was lucky enough to get on a tour of the Joint Security Area in the DMZ where negotiations are still held. We even got to take a few steps into North Korea because the meeting room we went into was split down the middle by the border. Part of the time, I was in the National Guard and was activated during the Rodney King officer sentencing in anticipation of further riots but nothing happened that year. The activation lasted just long enough to wreak havoc on my college semester but the instructors eventually allowed me to make up the work.

College took longer than planned for various reasons but I had an internship in my major so I felt I was at least making progress. I met my wife, Lori, in AA (urr…the Accounting Association) at CSUN. We both graduated with degrees in accounting and worked for public firms for several years. I worked with Ruth Hwang at one of the firms. I left accounting to switch into technology consulting towards the peak of the dot com boom. Later one of the consulting clients I worked for hired me and I still work there today. I manage the network and SAP Basis at a footwear and apparel company. I completed my MBA a few years ago and have been at my existing job for 8 years now. Lori and I have been married eleven years and have a 2 year old son named Bradley. We waited a long time to have a child because we were focused on our careers and wanted to travel. Traveling is one of our favorite hobbies. We went to places like Australia, New Zealand and Ireland. I have also traveled to some interesting places for work including China and the Netherlands.

We lived in Encino and Tarzana for many years but moved out to Camarillo a few years ago for the mild weather and to get away from the traffic and congestion.

No comments: