Thursday, August 16, 2007

Greetings from Lucy....

Wow...I can't believe how addictive this blog has become...hate to admit it here (and Margaret...I probably fall under that category of "bloggin' looky-loos" (is that how you spell looky loos"?), but I do have to admit that I find myself checking this thing 2-3 times a day, just to see who's been bloggin'... Quite honestly, and maybe I'm just a gadget fool (I am the only one in my household that doesn't own her own IPOD, although I have recently elevated my "cool" factor by purchasing a brand new iMac...which nobody in my family is allowed to touch....), but this is actually the first time that I've ever blogged...I feel like a bloggin' virgin, and am actually quite intimidated by the whole concept...so much pressure to be witty and cool, and successful, and humble...waaaayyyyy too much pressure on a girl...but, before I get started on the quick recap of the past 20 years....wanted to make a few quick comments:

1) Anthony Butler...you kill me! ;) Way to just let it "hang out"...not quite sure if you remember me or not, but I always remembered you as being a "happy-go-lucky guy" who lived life his own way...glad to see things haven't changed! :)

2) Margaret Bacon-Smith - Just curious who you actually had a crush on in school...since you did mention it as one of the main reasons to trek on back to the valley this October.... ;) Just between you and I...wanna share???? ;) We'll make sure he shows up! ;) All I can think of, when I think of Margaret Bacon, is smiles, smiles, and more smiles...way to keep up that school spirit and rally the troops! And of course...have to remember the cool Northridge parties...right off of Wilbur Avenue! So glad to hear your parents are doing well!!!

3) Lisa, Carol, Amy, and Corrinne - Thanks for taking the lead (as always) and organizing what seems will be a great reunion! On behalf of our '87 class, your effort and hard work is much appreciated!!!

4) Kristine I-Wa-Fuchi!!!! - what's up, girl????? so great to hear from you!!!! My brother will probably kill me, but he always had a crush on you...ok...maybe I'll push my wine glass away now...or not! ;)

5) To Doug Nelson, Charles Burke, Jim McCue, Jodi Kyman, Jen, and everybody else who has written in...loved reading your updates...like Margaret, Lisa, Carol, and Amy have urged...for the rest of you...jump on in...would love to hear from you!

6) And, on a serious note...my heartfet condolences go out to the Woiwoide, Francis, and Vote family...can't believe they're gone...our prayers are with you...

7) For the rest of you...get up and blog!!! :)

ok...now that that's all said and done...let me set the mood...have to download some Berlin, some Prince, some Thompson Twins, some Joe Jackson, some Genesis, and some Phil Collins to bring me back to the day....


After graduation, I moved out to Tucson, AZ to attend the University of Arizona. Played, for a second, on the volleyball team in the off-season, and dabbled with classes here and there. During my sophomore year , I met my hubby, Glenn, (he claims he met me during my freshman year, but freshman year was a little "hazy"), and have been together ever since....just celebrated our 14th wedding anniversary, and have been together almost 20 years...crazy!!! Glenn played football at the U of A, is hugley involved in the community and now trains athletes full-time, as the Director of Strength and Conditioning for the U of A Rugby team, the Pima College Football team, and other elite level athletes in Southern Arizona, to develop their speed, power, and performance training. A few weeks ago, I tried testing my shuttle run (which I used to be really good at...) and lost my balance on the first directional shift...Anthony...I hear you loud and clear! I still feel young and agile, but my body doesn't move like it used to 20 years ago...kind of frustrating...

Finally graduated 6, (or maybe 7) years later with a bachelor's in Business Management. Spent ages 18-24 as a college student and bartender...very fun. Spent ages 24-28 as a Sales Manager and Fitness Instructor at Bally's. After that, sold copiers, in the businessworld for about a year, then went to selling financial services, on a national level, for the next ten years, through 2005. Finally got to a point...way too much travelling selling something and schmoozing with people that I could care less about. In 2001, right before Sept 11, my mom got really ill...her 7 year bout with cancer was about t o take its toll, and three weeks after Sept 11, she passed away. For those curious, on more detail, go to http://www.tucsonsport.net/artman/publish/article_30.php...she is the inspiration behind my current project...

With Sept 11 happening and my mom passing away, it became very clear that life was way too precious to live it doing something I didn't care about, so I re-focused my priorities, and energies, and launched a magazine in Feb 2006 called Tucson SPORT...Embrace FAMILY. Engage SPORT. Celebrate LIFE. (www.tucsonsport.net) We're about a year and half into it, and its been a challenging and exhilerating ride, but I'm so excited to take it to the next level this year, as we combat the critical issues of childhood obesity, physical inactivity rates, and lack of physical education in our school systems. This is a picture of the Mayor of Tucson and I at a VIP reception I held last week, as we work together and try to establish Tucson as a global hub for community wellness. I was also blessed to have the 17th US Surgeon General, Dr. Richard Carmona, who is on my Advisory board, attending, as well, who happened to give Tucson SPORT major props for supporting educational enrichment resources to promote health literacy in our schools...pretty cool.... :)

We're blessed with two beautiful, healthy, bright, and athletic kids, Haley, 12, and Kobe, 4. I'm gearing up to start coaching another season for my daughter's 7th grade volleyball team, and am looking forward to starting up my monthly golf outings, weekly tennis lessons, and weekly volleyball league again, now that school's back in session!
As you can see...sport is still with me, in a big way! :)




I think that wraps it up for now...sorry for taking so much space!

I'm looking forward to catching up with you all in the valley in October.

Hope this finds you all in good health and great spirits...
If anybody feels like reaching out, feel free to drop me an e-mail at lhowell@tucsonsport.net.

See ya! :)

Lucy (Braker) Howell

No comments: