Friday, August 31, 2007

Sorry, I have to do it

In every situation, in spite of tragedy or sorrow, there are little nuggets of humor that get us through. If we are lucky enough to find them.

To get the proper context, I must explain a Sonic commercial currently running (at least in California). Sonic is a fast food place that now has some sort of Cranberry drink. A wife and husband are in their car, enjoying the drink and he starts adding "CR" to words like "can't" which makes it "CRan't" or aunt which becomes "CRaunt". As in, "I CRan't get over how good this tastes - we should tell your CRaunt Ruth". The wife finds him annoying. You get the idea.

Well, at the mortuary meeting, it was decided my father-in-law wanted to be cremated rather than buried. And the director was telling us about the costs. And then he said "The county requires an $11 permit to distribute the cremains". Cremains? I thought I heard wrong. I've heard of a persons remains but cremains? Maybe he was getting choked up or had to cough. But he said it again - cremains. And then it was like he used it in every sentence. And the more he said it - the more I thought of that stupid commerical until by the time the meeting was over I was nearly in tears trying not to laugh. And it took all my will-power not to turn to him and say "So let me get this straight -without a permit we CRan't have the CRemains?".

Small spot in a rough day. Still pretty funny.

CRanthony Butler

No comments: