Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Enough is enough

God forbid I should begrudge anyone their success or hapiness but really . . . . enough is enough. Story after story of these amazing lives and accomplishments (how come no one has crossed the boundaries of good taste and written about their freaky sex life?). Let's put some real facts of the last 20 years on the table.

Yes, I am talking about aging. You know what I am talking about. We did not all just flash forward 20 years as our younger persona. Looks like I'm going to have go first.

Let's start with hair. It's going. I tried to cover the fact with hats only to find they make it worse. I have been on the verge of deciding just to shave my head - but I don't think I have the face for it. What is left is beginning to gray or "salt and pepper" as most hairstyling chefs say. My "washboard abs" are now "washing machine abs" complete with matching dryer. Okay, I never had "washboard abs" to begin with. I have been walking and jogging for exercise lately, but man does it take longer to lose weight than it did before. My vision is going - I squint so much these days people just assume I am asleep most of the time. Things ache a little now - mostly my back. My son, who is now six, still considers himself light as a feather. However, yesterday as his arms were outstretched in "pick-me-up mode", I strongly considered giving him $5 to pick himself up. My blood pressure is up which my doctor found surprising for someone of my age. I told him come live in my house with 4 kids, 2 of which are teens. He shut his mouth and gave me a prescription.

Now, I meant all of this in jest. It's not really expected that anyone divulge such information in a friendly 20 year reunion blog. But other than what we have "done" in 20 years, I thought someone could at least comment on what has "happened" to us - or some of us. We're getting older, kids, and that is as much a part of our last 20 years as anything else.

So, if your ass is now stationed three inches lower or it takes you a little longer to spring out of bed - we're all in the same boat. And if you are taught, in shape, and feel like you did 20 years ago . . . . . . . . . . . I hate you. :)

Anthony "I'm too sexy for my walker" Butler

1 comment:

Nanette Bentley said...

Oh my god, I'm so glad you brought this up! The whole aging thing (and, to be honest, the topic of hot, freaky sex) is a big topic of conversation among me and friends of a certain age (our age), and I make sure my younger colleagues know what to expect - there is NO ESCAPE from premature sagging and wrinkling! It's been a big a turning point for me to realize, in my case anyway, that my bikini days are behind me, at least if I don't want to scare anyone and be pointed at, that a GAP size 8 is a lie designed to make me feel better (but it's a kind lie and I like it) and that Mr. L'Oreal is going to be close personal friend for the rest of my days. But I look around me, shake my head, say "So what?," laugh and get on with it. I'm not the first and I won't be the last to come to the realization that I'm getting older. And it's an OK feeling to know that I'm playing my part in the human condition. After reading so much sad news about our schoolmates and assessing the state of the world in general, I'm just happy to be here and happy to be happy and that feels like enough for me.