Friday, September 28, 2007

I - Carumba!

This music compilation idea was truly inspired! Genius! Brilliant! It also just happens to bring to mind yet another aging anecdote. How convenient.

Last June, my kids received graduation money and immediately bought a new fangled gadget called an "Ipod". Given that I spend a good deal of my time sitting on my porch, in my rocking chair, yelling at kids to get off my lawn, new technology usually passes me by. The kids swore EVERYONE had them - but it didn't interest me.

For Christmas, my folks got me an Ipod. First, I thought I'd return it - but they had had it engraved on the back. Crap! What was I going to do with this I-pod thingy? My mini-van already had a CD player and I already had 200 CD's crammed between the driver and passenger seats for "easy" access. What possible purpose could this serve? And it was probably going to involve the computer and be confusing to learn. Drek!

Okay, I was amazed to get all those CD's into one little, thin, silver player. Now, I don't know how I lived without one.

Thinking about our music, today I took a look at my Ipod list. All that great music of our time that defined us and made us cool - gone. I have more Disney, Hannah Montana, and Sesame Street than anything else. And the scariest realization of all was that while I was driving, with no one else in the car, the Ipod was playing Grover singing "Monster in the Mirror" and it did not occur to me to change it! I think my left foot was even tapping on it's own!

My youngest is 5, and starting to catch on to his older brothers music. The real test of how hip I am is when he doesn't want Sesame Street music anymore - how long will it take me to get it off my I-pod? I can tell you this - Grover ain't going nowhere!

Anthony "It's not easy being green" Butler

No comments: